This video is distressing. 2 year old twins play in their room, when a chest of draws fall. Parents shared the video to spread awareness about toppling furniture and the importance of having them secure.
Secure furniture safely. Don’t wait until it’s too late!
Have you read stories about furniture falling and injuring or killing young children? Have you not secured your TV, draws, book shelves or large furniture and thought, it wont happen to us, my child isn’t a climber or i’ll put those brackets on later? We could all be guilty of these, I am! It could happen, and they may not be climbers, until they are and until it’s too late.
Safety tips & Buying Tips
- Attach, mount, bolt or otherwise secure furniture and televisions to walls and floors.
- Put locking devices on all drawers to prevent children opening them and using them as steps.
- Do not put heavy items on top shelves of bookcases.
- Discourage small children from climbing on furniture.
- Do not put tempting items such as favourite toys on top of furniture that encourages children to climb up and reach.
- Do not place unstable furniture near where children play.
- Look for furniture that comes with anchoring devices. If it doesn’t include them, ask whether they’re available in the store.
- Purchase low-set furniture or furniture with sturdy, stable and broad bases.
- Tell retail staff if you have small children in your home so they can advise you about safer options.
- The National Retail Association has produced a voluntary Best Practice Guide for Furniture and Television Tip-Over Prevention(link is external). Ask if your retailer applies this guide to their product range.
Some companies have voluntarily recalled multiple product lines of their chests and dressers due to injuries and or deaths over a period of years. Furniture wall straps, brackets and anti tip straps are cheap and easy to install. Don’t risk it.
Image from IKEA
A few dollars and a few minutes could save a life or serious injury! Please share with your family and friends.